Pages

Monday, January 16, 2012

Progress and Completion



I am officially done with my Valentines Day craft swap (not pictured yet are the candies I will pick up at the store on my way to to the post office)! I really enjoyed dreaming up this little gnome set, wet felted heart ornaments, and sachet. I am slowly realizing that crafting gnomes and embroidering are coming more and more easily to me, which is good and validating. I also find that the artistic/crafty medium of wooden pegs and felt have endless possibilities once you have a basic method down. So all in all, I can't really take full credit for the gnome peg people and sleeping bags I make, since they were all inspired by Wee Folk Art's tutorials. The designs at this point are my own, however this really isn't about artistic integrity for me, since I make these for my children and friends as gifts. I want to keep it that way too. But I also want to give credit where credit is due! 

Deirdre helped me wet felt the purple heart ornament. She was very proud of it and is even more excited to send it to our swap partner in New Zealand. I pulled up photos on the computer for her and map. She concurred that  New Zealand  is beautiful but far away from us. I find that to be one of the really neat things about blogging though. I am making connections with people, different yet like minded at the same time, worldwide. It helps me feel not quite so alone in my homeschooling and Waldorf journey. Plus it's the next best thing to travelling (which Craig and I fully intend on doing again since we'll barely be in our forties when our kids are grown). Don't get me wrong, we totally plan on travelling some with our children as well but I am still looking for my money tree to make that happen ;) Let's hope I can still speak a few of the languages I studied by the time I find it! 

Enjoy the photos and feel free to use them to craft your own little Valentine sets. I will post a tutorial later on to explain how we wet felted the hearts as well as a spool table and spool mushroom tutorial. I realized that I did not give directions on how to make your own! Opps!

Until then, Happy Monday! (And enjoy some photos of the littles!) 


Yes they do help me cut them and it is helpful. Deirdre did one whole by herself (with a butter knife). Jonas tried really hard but ended up eating the raw potato more than cutting it. 

Homemade pound cake- yum! The kids helped with this too. They're great egg crackers. 


We are slowly replacing TV time with planned nightly activities. We started again to watch more TV when I was very ill with hypermesis. So far it is working. They also totally clean up after themselves collectively. I am very proud.

For the Kids Friday

22 comments:

  1. What gorgeous swap crafts! I'd love to do a swap with your sometime if you are interested ;-)

    Reading about your travel hopes made me chuckle - I feel somewhat similar, I hope we get travelling in the next couple of years (kids and all)!

    I'm also trying to reduce tv here, working on a tv free Tuesday ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I commented my reply on your bread mobile post! One tv-free day is a great idea!

      Delete
  2. We stopped tv time, for the most part, and replaced it with "kindle time"(Bear has a V-reader and likes to read by himself), untill today(he woke up super early felling very sick and after tons of stories i put on some "feel better movies"), he has had almost no tv and we saw a huge behavior and creative change in him... but i'm glad to hear that i'm not the only one who thinks there is a time and place for telly watching with small ones... thank you so much for your honesty, i almost feel guilted sometimes like its a dirty secret we need to hide!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes everything has its place! I think being honest is super important because we need to all support each other, where we each are at! This Waldorf journey is progressive for us and we all are going through it together. Before, when I just had DD, I was told lots of baby DVDs were the best things ever! So we've come very far. My hope is after the baby, once things settle, we can stay at 30-40 minutes a day and move towards none on some days and then none at all. But that is just a goal. I try to do everything in moderation. I see no harm in a little, especially if it commercial free and a good show. (We love Maurice Sendak's Little Bear, Franklin, and animals shows!)

      Delete
  3. Your Valentine Swap project looks fantastic! Your partner is very lucky! I'm looking for some nice Valentine books and I see you have one in one of your photos. Is it a good book?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarah! Yes I highly recommend the "Saint Valentine" book by Robert Sabuda. It is the story of who he really was and it is all illustrated in Roman mosaic. Another fun book is "The Valentines Bears" by Eve Bunting and Jan Brett.

      Delete
  4. Those little gnomes are so darned sweet! I love making little guys and embroidering them, such fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I first have to mention that your fireplace is beautiful...absolutely stunning!!!
    This was a great post I love Wee folk art too they are so nice for sharing all of their patterns, but they do take along time to add all the details...I remember doing a craft night with a friend for Christmas 2010 and we just made peg people...it took me 4 hours just to make 4 people but they did come out so cute and they are still treasured and played with to this day.
    Your comments about the t.v. also hit close to home because my husband is taking ours out of the living room tonight...we had a big tv a few years ago but I convinced my husband to store it in the basement for now...so then we just got a little t.v which works for us because we can just bring it in when we want to watch a family movie but it's had a permanent home in our living room since Christmas because we watched a lot of holiday movies...but I find that when it's out of sight it's out of mind for our family....I have to agree (Lindsey Joy)that has been My "dirty little secret" lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am happy that you feel the same way. Thank you for sharing.I hope we can get to the point of just getting rid of it. Out of sight and out of mind would really help. My husband watches much more than we do, he works nights so he watches it when he gets home late, so it would take some convincing on his part for sure. I am finding board games help us too before bed instead of turning on the TV with the kids.

      We all have dirty little secrets, don't we? Mine right now are all the brownies I have been craving. Poor baby!

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. Ha tell me about it...I've been craving spaghetti and meat like it's nobodies business...I think it's my body keeping my protein in check?? Pregnancy does funny things to us..that's for sure:)

      Delete
    4. Oh and thank you for the compliment about our fireplace, it is one of my favorite things in the house! Spaghetti and meat sounds great! When are you due?

      Delete
    5. Ah we are pretty close! I'm due May 4th! Yay for Spring babies!

      Delete
  6. Very sweet. Darling kids, too. Blessings. Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and thank for visiting!

      Delete
  7. How wonderful!! I love them. Thank you for sharing at Sharing Saturday!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carrie, anytime! And thank you for all your hard work hosting!

      Delete
  8. What a fun idea to do a Valentine Swap like that. What great pictures of all your activities. Thanks for sharing on Monday Madness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Brooke! I got so many ideas to do at co-op next week from your blog. Thank you! I added your button on my sidebar too :) What a great resource!

      Delete
  9. Looks like your little ones are a great help in the kitchen and they are having fun at the same time. I am a new follower visiting from Crafty Mom Share. Vicky from Mess For Less

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vicky- we sure do have fun together in there! I love your blog, thank you for finding me!

      Delete

I love to chat! Please comment :)