Pages

Friday, February 17, 2012

A New *No Stitch* Heart Gnome Tutorial



As you all know, I love gnomes. My daughter is responsible for this love and in an effort to make her gnome play things- since you can't really find gnomes in the store- I set about learning how to make my own gnomes. 


About a year and a half ago, I stumbled upon Wee Folk Art's peg gnome tutorial. Since then I have made my own wee folk gnomes, as well as modified them to make my own versions. It seems to me once you work with two artistic mediums enough, in this case peg people and felt, the possibilities are limitless. 


When talking with my friends about my gnome crafting, a lot of them remark, "well what about the blanket stitching and embroidery... all that for one little gnome?" It is true, doing all the stitching does take more time and I do like the look, but it isn't for everyone for sure. I am all about practicality and empowering anyone to craft. If the stitches are a deterrent for you then ditch them! This makes crafting peg gnome even easier for kids as well


I will show you how to avoid stitching all together, except for sewing the cloak closed and sewing the hat together. Both of these are essential and easy. They're just joining stitches. If you're especially great with fabric glue then I bet you can figure out a way to avoid this as well, but alas I am not and my gnomes come out looking to gummy. 


Ok, Let's do this!! 

Step One: Go to Wee Folk Art's Blog and download their 'Waldorf peg gnome pattern' and directions. It is free. 

Step Two: Cut out all the pieces for your gnomes as directed. For a girl heart gnome cut a pink hat and body piece and a red cloak and small heart. For a boy heart gnome, cut a blue hat and body with a purple cape and heart. 

Step Three: Instead of stitching all the edges of the hats and cloaks, just don't! 

Step Four: Fabric glue the gnome body piece on. Then, once dry, glue the heart on the middle of the body. 

Step Five: Thread a needle with either blue (boy) or pink (girl) embroidery thread. Drape the cloak around the gnome's shoulders and gather stitch the cloak closed around the gnome's neck. Then if desired, to prevent the cloak from shifting, glue the back of the cloak to the gnome's body. 

Step Six: Take the gnome hat piece and turn it inside out. Stitch the open sides shut with a simple running stitch. Then turn the hat inside out. Stuff the hat with wool. 

Step Seven: Take a copious amount of fabric glue and place it inside the hat. Place the hat on your gnome's head. The gnome should have a large rim on his hat. Gently pucker the edge of the hat down onto the gnome forehead using the glue seeping out from under the hat. If you're not sure what this looks like then see the hats above. 

Then ta-ad, you should be done! Mine took me under 10 minutes per gnome. They are just as cute and as fun for the kids. Enjoy, and I hope you craft many of these gnomies too for your little ones. 




Also don't forget my current giveaway for Sarah Silks. You still have until the 23rd to enter and win a playsilk or silk streamer! 


Always, Nicole 

17 comments:

  1. Very cute and a great tutorial. I'm rather smitten by gnomes too :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I just love them! I will so be the old lady with an eccentric gnome collection!

      Delete
  2. lovely colours ! and thanks for the giveaway ..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Wow thank you Linda, that is a huge compliment coming from you, I am a big fan of you work and patterns!

      Delete
  4. oh wow..they are so very very cool!!
    i bet there is a market for these!
    i am your newest follower..pls follow back if you can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure did, and thank you! Loving your blog!

      Delete
  5. Love it!! I hope you will share at Sharing Saturday this week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cute little gnome project! I really enjoy reading your blog, and have awarded you The Versatile Blogger Award. You can stop on by my blog to check it out. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you April, I feel so honored. I will have to pass along the love tomorrow on my blog for sure :) I also saw that you're featuring the Bremen Musicians this week. It is a favorite of mine!

      Delete
  7. these are so lovely. I would love to get some peg people for Rebe to decorate. She loves Enid Blyton's Famous Five and think she'd find it so much fun to make them herself with peg people! I love your idea and will perhaps make them at Buddies sometime. You are so clever :-) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Laura, thank you! This version would be super easy for little ones to do, I bet Rebe would be a master. Benny and Joa might need help with the glue but they could totally cut out some felt bit to decorate. I will email you back soon BTW :) This week has been crazy, ah!!!

      Delete
  8. Thank you, I joined in and added your button :) So happy that we connected!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are too cute and adorable :) Thanks so much for sharing this with us at Sharing Saturday. Hope to see you again this week.

    ~MiaB
    www.mamamiasheart2heart.com

    ReplyDelete

I love to chat! Please comment :)