Pages

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Knitting

I love to knit. It is something I am not naturally gifted at either. So instead of giving up I decided to learn, mostly by myself, how to do it better. The only person I know whom knits is my husband's Grandmother, Oma. When she is here she is very helpful but sadly she lives in Connecticut and we only see them 2-3 times a year. She taught me last summer how to purl and to do a knitted cast on. Of course since I did not knit regularly then I had to relearn both methods, but now I think I can call myself a knitter. 


To date I have knitted 5 scarves, 2 ducks, 2 bunnies, 1 goose, and 1 sheep. My goal is to take a class at our Parks and Rec center which claims to teach sweater knitting to beginners as well as learn to crochet this summer. All of this adds to my long term goal of being able to knit the kids sweaters-hats- or gloves by next winter. I realize that this is a lofty goal but I am not wanting to learn anything super fancy. I know all the basics now, I just want to be able to knit more useful things for my family. 


Three books that have helped me learn solo are: 

All About Knitting by Martingale & Co 


http://www.amazon.com/All-About-Knitting-Martingale-Co/dp/1564778983/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1301187373&sr=8-1-spell


This awesome guide to everything knitting was a sweet gift given to me by my mother in law. It has patterns for all levels and is just a great guide to have around when you run into patterns that confuse you. It basically is a knitting encyclopedia. 



Knitted Animals by Anne-dorthe Grigaff 


http://www.amazon.com/Knitted-Animals-Education-Anne-dorthe-Grigaff/dp/1903458684/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1301187412&sr=1-2-spell


I LOVE this book. All the projects in here are for beginners and the patterns are not in shorthand, so it is good practice. Anyone can do these and if you work your way through all the animals in the book, then you will learn all the stitches. 



Kids Knitting: Projects for Kids of all Ages by Melanie Falick 


http://www.amazon.com/Kids-Knitting-Projects-all-Ages/dp/1579652417/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1301187435&sr=1-1


This book is a great beginners guide. I like their illustration on the different stitches. It is very clear and easy to understand.


Youtube
http://cyberseams.com/how_to_cyberseams.php#knitting stitches and methods

So enjoy and maybe one night instead of just TV, you can knit too! Its fun and relaxing, I promise : )







Daily verse: And God spoke all these words: I am the LORD your God, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery. You shall have no other gods before me. – Exodus 20:1-3 NIV







No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to chat! Please comment :)