Pages

Saturday, March 19, 2011

Organized Simplicity

As I mentioned in my last blog, I have an awesome free stash of books right now that I am reading. One in particular is really syncing with me, and it is titled "Organized Simplicity". The premise of the book is that a not only is simplifying your life through organization and decluttering possible but doing so leads to a more meaningful and enjoyable way to live. 


Eureka! Someone figured it out for me. But what I love about this book is it is not a "just throw all you worldly possessions way" gig. Tsh (the author) explains realistic ways bit by bit on how to do so, ranging from being involved in fewer activities to green living. She then goes on to provide the reader with research on the American family, income, household size, ect. and how we as a society have changed over the past 50 years. As a result you can clearly see that while we as a society have become more wealthy and now own larger homes with more stuff, we also work twice as much as the rest of the world with a drastic decrease in contentedness. 


Because I am skeptic, I checked her sources and research. I have to say that it is sound in my mind and not just because I want to believe her. Trust me I LOVE my stuff. My stuff is a idol in my life and my consumerism is something I struggle with (but I am getting much better at thanks to  the Lord, my hubby, and my discipler!). I also do not like getting rid of it nor do I like slowing down. But her words and research are convicting me to continue and increase the decluttering process in our life. Two tangible things I (including Craig) have done recently towards that end is to not enroll DD in preschool this upcoming Fall and to purge our 'stuff' without going and getting new things. 


I will not hit all my reasons to not send her to preschool another time, but please understand that I have nothing against preschools. I think they are great- I worked in one for 4 years- but preschool is just not what we feel is right for our family and child right now. To each their own! 



So in short, go pick up Tsh's book if you need some motivation and conviction for a simpler life. It will inspire you. 



Tsh's blog: http://simplemom.net/







A baby Deirdre chasing ducks. Simple, free, unadulterated fun.


Daily Verse: 
When Jesus saw this, he was indignant. He said to them, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. I tell you the truth, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it." 16And he took the children in his arms, put his hands on them and blessed them. -Mark 10:14-16

Sweet Moment: Today at bedtime when I was putting Jonas down, I pulled out the picture of the family which we look at almost nightly. I asked, like I aways do, where Mama, Dada, and Deirdre are. And tonight he pointed to each of us twice in different order!! It seems he does understands me more now besides just when I say "uh-oh"! 



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to chat! Please comment :)