Pages

Friday, September 16, 2011

Preserving Blueberries

Daily Verse or Quote: 

You are not managing an inconvenience, you are raising a human being. Children reflect the treatment they receive. - Kittie Frantz







Despite feeling under the weather and forgetting about the pounds of blueberries in my freezer, I had a fabulous week. Fortunately I got my act together and had a preserving party with the kids yesterday afternoon. 


Deirdre and Jonas absolutely love to 'help' Mama. I put help in quotes because it's their intention and desire to help me, even if it actually slows me down. Nonetheless, I accept it with a smile and can see their eager heart behind it. 


The kids were able to help me add the sugar and lemon juice. They also got to help me get our jars ready and even stir the pot. But Mama had to do all the hot pouring and smashing in my mixer. I broke my mixer early this year. It is a dear wedding present from my home-group and thanks to my Father-in-law it works again! BUT I now am much more careful with it- which means the kids don't get to touch it or its buttons. But they do not mind. Since we practice Love and Logic at home and they get lots of other options in their day, they do not mind it when I make a choice for them. 


So here are the photos of our results. I use a my own improved pectin free recipe so my preserves stay in the fridge, but I like it that way. Preserving that day was a nice trip down memory lane of our blueberry picking trip and a great reminder of God's great and generous provision for us and especially my family. 












Also (just for the record- yep I am about to go on another tangent) while I am positive on my blog about my home life and my kids, we do have our struggles. I do get frustrated with them and I do at times feel overwhelmed. These times pass and I move on quickly since I have a God given peace. So in this place I choose not to dwell on them. This is a honest place of positive reflection. Because when I look back on my day, the little two minute long fight my kids had over the crayon does not color the rest of the great time they played together for over an hour. And even in my worst moments with my kids, I do not think (as a mature adult) that gives me the right call my children names or to cuss at them or to verbally abuse them.  


So if you came to this place to find this, I am sorry to disappoint you. I've been on the receiving end of verbal abuse and other abuse as a child and its no fun. And being 'real' about parenting in my book does not include that. But feel free to stick around if you'd like to know more about being a compassionate, quirky, loving, and intentional parent. I am a huge mess but by God's daily grace I sure do try my best! 



6 comments:

  1. Somehow God takes the huge messes that we are and still uses them to raise these lovely little (slightly devious) creatures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started bloging as a way to share whats going on with with our family, but it became, for me, a way to magnify the good in my life, and remember to thank God for all the little blessings he gives me every day... as a mum, wife and person this is priceless and has encouraged me to look and see life a little rosier! Keep on keeping on, people will always try to bring you down when your doing whats right

    john 15:18-21
    18If the world hates you, you know that it has hated me before it hated you. 19If you were of the world, the world would love its own. But because you are not of the world, since I chose you out of the world, therefore the world hates you. 20Remember the word that I said to you: 'A servant is not greater than his lord.' If they persecuted me, they will also persecute you. If they kept my word, they will keep yours also. 21But all these things will they do to you for my name's sake, because they don't know him who sent me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Linnie! I needed to hear that and be reminded of that verse. I am so happy we that we have found each other in blogland!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anya, oh yes their deviousness! Haha but they sure have sweet spirits! No one needed to teach us how to sin!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so jealous of your mixer! Someday I hope to attain the goodness that is a stand mixer, particularly a kitchenaid :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to chat! Please comment :)