Pages

Monday, June 6, 2011

Baby Bunnies?!

Update: No babies as of tonight! 6/62011

Todays post will be short and sweet! After church today I went outside to check on the chickens and the bunnies in the new coop. Much to my shock and surprise, Duffy (Our new black Dutch) made a nest lined with her fur. I proceeded to watch her for a few minutes and indeed she was busily ripping out her stomach fur and making a straw nest. 

Obviously I was shocked. She does not look any different, so we will see what happens and then if babies do come, we will keep them all and promptly have the all spayed and neutered. 

About two months ago my husband noticed that Cicero (Our almost 7 year old 'female' lionhead rabbit -or so we thought) was looking kinda old. I have had her since 2006 and when I got her she was already 2 years old. I took her to the vet and he sexed her as a female and then gave her all the necessary shots. I chose to not have 'her' spayed because I was only planning on having one rabbit. Well a marriage and two kids later, Cicero is still with us. Craig worried that she would die soon and wanted to get another bunny so that it would not be so hard to the kids. Also let me just put this out here but at first he hated Cicero and Cicero hated him. Have you ever heard a rabbit growl? Well my husband has. Obviously Cicero wanted me all to 'herself'. But I digress! 

Anyway so off to the SPCA we go to adopt a sweet black Dutch female bunny. They did not spay her and we saw no reason to since Cicero was a girl. NOT! After we caught Cicero repeatedly mounting Duffy- we realized the vet had made a huge mistake. But since no babies came we assumed that Cicero- now a boy- was too old. 

So... we will see! My husband and I are excited to have more bunnies and to keep them all, so this should be a fun learning experience. Good thing that we have two coops and one hutch now. 

Cicero aka 'Fluffy'. My first baby in college. I was learning Latin when i got her so I named her Cicero. 


Daily Verse: 
A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for a time of adversity.
-Proverbs 17:17

3 comments:

  1. Oh babies bunnies are SO sweet. How exciting that would be if she does have them, but yest spaying and neutering will probably be a good idea too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you :) I checked on her this morning and still no babies but more nesting going on! If she does have babies- then we will get them all fixed to prevent further babies- but if nothing happens then we will let Cicero keep his manhood :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to chat! Please comment :)