Pages

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Caterpillar Babies


About a week ago today the painted lady caterpillars that we ordered from Insectlore arrived! As a part of my home school preschool this summer, we decided to get caterpillars. So far it has been a great learning experience. Deirdre is learning so much about their little lives and also about her own. She is noticing that caterpillars change and so do people too when they get older. But while that change is only physical with caterpillars; with people it is a physical and mental metamorphism.
"Mommy when we get older we get bigger and taller, like the baby caterpillars.  But we also get smarter and learn new things... like how to take care of babies." 
Watching Deirdre connecting those dots herself today was a great affirmation to this new homeschooling experience for us both. 



Jonas, who is a huge fan of the "Very Hungry Caterpillar" by Eric Carle, (It was the theme for his 1st birthday party) also joins in the fun by stealing the caterpillar jar and running wildly away with it. Oh that little boy sure is fun and mischievous! Thankfully I am up for the challenge. I got a lot of practice with mischievous little boys as a big sister to Luke (for 17 years and counting) and also when I worked at a day school for fours years in High School. But I will say Luke is a bit calmer than Jonas and more passive (in a GOOD way!). Luke might not have survived to the ripe age of 17 in a family of dominant Irish women, had he been as aggressive/stubborn/vocal as my mother and I. Did I mention I am super proud of my brother? Well, I am! He just got his license, but moreover I think I am most proud of the man he is becoming. He has a good and kind spirit, yet he is firm when he needs to be. Very proud! 

Loving his first piece of cake. I made the felt birthday crown for him.  The ribbon on it has bugs around it! 


The cake I made, love it! 



Ah, but I digress... 

So today Deirdre informed me that the "big fat one" was transforming into his "chrysalis". Low and behold, he is slowly but surely. I will keep you all posted in the upcoming days about their progress. Once all the caterpillars transform, we have a mesh tent that we place them in until they hatch- not pictured- but we only plan to keep them for a day once they hatch. Deirdre already has releasing plans for them and wants to make a butterfly feeder so that they will stick around and 'pollinate our veggies". So sweet. I highly recommend Insectlore. They are a very educational and eco-friendly company. They stand by their insects, and guarantee them. Win-win in my book! 

Have a great day my friends! Thank you all for the input on the nameless chick. We decided on 'Precious' per Carollee's suggestion! 









More crafts with Deirdre. Letter familiarization- no pressure just fun- with painting and gluing! 

Daily Verse or Quote: 
Let them praise the name of the LORD, for his name alone is exalted; his splendor is above the earth and the heavens. – Psalm 148:13 NIV 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to chat! Please comment :)