Pages

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Old Fashioned Iced Tea

Today it was in the high 90s with a heat index into the 100s and a bucket full of humidity to go with it. I attempted to take the kids out at 4pm, when it cooled off just a bit, to go in our baby pools. Neither of them wanted to go out. Both immediately went back towards the door informing me it was just "too hot".  Even my chickens wanted to stay in the coop. And that's saying something! 


So instead of outside, we had free play in the living room. I laid out a quilt, put on classical music, pulled out some old- new to them-toys and the kids went to town! Deirdre and Jonas usually do not play in the living room. I have a nice playroom set up for them which they tend to stay in. So the novelty of the quilt- which became an ocean and amusement park- in the living room entertained them endlessly. 



I know, I know, its a lot of sprinkles. Deirdre got a little carried away with shaking part! 



In the meantime I made a nice pork loin, salad, cookies, frozen banana pops, and iced tea for dinner. Both of the kids at different points helped me. Jonas is quite proud of himself now that he can stand on the stool next to his big sister. Plus with the temperature outside being ridiculous, iced tea was in order! 






So here is my recipe for Old Fashioned Iced Tea (really it is my version of what my Grandmother's tea tasted like with a few modifications)! Enjoy and stay cool. I am still working on the baby doll quilt tutorial. I will get it up this weekend after the poultry swap, I promise! 






Ingredients: 

  • 5 tablespoons of honey
  • 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
  • 1 tablespoon of white Granulated Sugar
  • 4 tea Bags of your favorite teas- I chose 2 bags of Twingings Black Pomegranate Tea and 2 bags of Twingings Green Tea to give it a fruity twist.
  • 4 cups of boiling water
Directions:

  1. Bring 4 cups of water to a whistling boil in a kettle.
  2. Add 5 tablespoons of honey, 1 tablespoon of white sugar, and 1 tablespoon of lemon juice to a heat-safe bowl or glass measuring cup 
  3. Pour the boiling water into the measuring cup with the honey and sugar in it. Stir the connects until the sugar and honey are dissolved. 
  4. Add the 4 tea bags to the cup and let them steep for 5 minutes. 
  5. Have a pitcher ready and remove the teas bags, pouring the measuring cup's contents into the pitcher. 
  6. Add cold water to the pitcher until it is full
  7. Let the contents chill in the refrigerator about an hour before serving- or add ice. (If the tea is too strong- or too dull for you-just add more water or let the tea bags steep a little longer.)

Enjoy! 

Loving her 'juice' tea! 

Daily Verse or Quote: 
Since the day we heard about you, we have not stopped praying for you and asking God to fill you with the knowledge of his will through all spiritual wisdom and understanding. 
-Colossians 1:9 NIV


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to chat! Please comment :)